On your journey on learning Dutch (yes it is a journey, a rather large one) you will come across some ‘funny’ phrases and words. Why beat around the bush when you can be direct like a Dutch person?
Here are 15 funny Dutch words I have, so far, come across.
Prepare to be amazed.
- Toiletbril = toilet glasses = toilet seat.
- Schoonmoeder = clean mother = mother-in-law.
- Mierenneuker = ant fucker = someone who cares a little too much about details.
- Handschoenen = hand shoes = gloves.
- Pindakaas = peanut cheese = peanut butter.
- Spijkerbroek =nail pants = jeans.
- Brandslang = fire snake = hose.
- Boterham = butter ham = sandwich.
- Schilpad = shield toad = turtle.
- Oorlog = cumbersome ear = war.
- Ziekenauto = sick car = ambulance.
- Muilpeer = mouth pear = slap in the face.
- Vleermuis = wing mouse = bat.
- Wasbeer = wash bear = racoon.
- Apenstaartje = little monkey tail = @